Sunday, February 11, 2007

I'm a crazy crazy dog


These last couple weeks have been awesome! I never knew that Trail Building Dog is the most glamorous of dog jobs ever. The day starts off with the usual greetings. I run around and jump on everyone as fast as I can so I can reach them before my people tell them to knee me when I jump. After defying my people, I spend a few hours smelling EVERTHING around the work site in search of poo. Next comes the real work of socializing with all the trail builders while dodging swinging Pulaski’s, McLeod’s, shovels, rock hammers and flying dirt. Eventually, after I have successfully suckered everyone out of at least part of their lunch, I settle down in the dirt next to one of my people and take a nap. It's great. Our work in Gallup NM was pretty cold. The dirt was frozen and the mornings were brisk but we made it work and repaired a pretty fantastic piece of existing trail. Unfortunately, in Las Cruses NM the following week, we went for a longish ride and I ripped the pads on three of my paws. A torturous few days followed while I was abandoned at the nice host family's house and wondered if my people where coming back for me while they were out working and riding their bikes. All in all, NM was an interesting state. We drove 4 hours to find a white water play park that barely existed, rode a BMX track in Albuquerque with a family of 5 rippers, all rocking mullets, built trail in frozen dirt, ate lots of really good carnitas tacos, and rode the trails in sunny, warm, Las Cruses. We even saw some of Sella the horses long lost wild cousins. Now we're back to Sedona for a few days off and a few days of riding. Kristin and Ryan, the other crew who have been mentoring us in the art of teaching, building trail, and being rad are ditching us in a week so I am hoping we can get in lots of riding and good times before they head for lovely Houston TX and us for Orange County CA. I'm going to have to go through this separation anxiety thing all over again!



No comments: